This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: Name: ______________________________________ Period: _______ Date: ____________________
U.S. History & Government 11R
Mr. Gallucci REVIEW: THE GREAT DEPRESSION & NEW DEAL
Directions: Please answer the following questions on a SEPARATE SHEET OF PAPER!
1. List the causes of the Great Depression in the United States? (Hint: There isn’t just one cause)
2. How did President Hoover & the Republican Party tackle the Great Depression?
3. What do Hoovervilles, Hoover Flags, and Hoover Blankets show about the American public’s
feelings towards President Herbert Hoover?
4. What purpose did the “bank holiday” serve during F.D.R.’s first one hundred days of his
5. Alphabet Soup – Explain the following New Deal programs:
a. Agricultural Adjustment Act (A.A.A.):
b. Civilian Conservation Corp. (C.C.C.):
c. Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC):
d. National Labor Relations Act (Wagner Act):
e. Securities and Exchange Commission (S.E.C.):
f. Social Security Act:
g. Tennessee Valley Authority (T.V.A.):
h. Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.):
6. Explain the significance of the Dust Bowl. Who is John Steinbeck? What’s an “Okie”?
7. Why did the popularity of movies and novels increase during the Great Depression?
8. What did critics say about F.D.R.’s New Deal programs?
9. Why did the Supreme Court declare parts of F.D.R.’s New Deal unconstitutional?
10. Explain F.D.R.’s “court packing” plan. How was it received by Congress and the American
11. F.D.R. ran for an unprecedented four terms. Why was this so controversial?
12. What event successfully ended the Great Depression?
13. What long-term effect did the New Deal have on American society? ...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 05/13/2010 for the course USH US History taught by Professor Mize during the Spring '10 term at West Point.
- Spring '10