Unformatted text preview: Name: ______________________________________ Period: _______ Date: ____________________
U.S. History & Government 11R
Mr. Gallucci REVIEW: THE CONSTITUTION
ARTICLES 1 THROUGH 3
Directions: Please answer the following questions to the best of your ability.
1. The Great Compromise settled what important issue? 2. The 3/5 Compromise settled what important issue? 3. Identify the 3 branches of government. PREAMBLE
4. What did the writers of the Constitution set forth in the Preamble to the U.S. Constitution? ARTICLE 1
5. Representation in the Senate is based on what?
6. Representation in the House of Representatives is based on what?
7. How long does a Senator and a Representative serve?
8. What are the president’s close advisors called?
9. Can a president serve for four terms? Explain.
10. What is the maximum number of terms a President can serve?
11. Who elects the president? ARTICLE 3
12. What is the primary job of the Supreme Court? 13. What is the maximum number of justices that can serve on the Supreme Court? 14. Who has the power to nominate members to the Supreme Court? POWERS OF THE BRANCHES
15. Determine which branch has the appropriate power and put a check in the box.
This branch will approve the appointment of Clarence
Thomas to the Supreme Court.
This branch will declare the Assault Weapons law
This branch will vote to declare war on Iraq. LEGISLATIVE This branch will serve as Commander-in-Chief of the
armed forces stationed in Afghanistan.
This branch nominated Condoleezza Rice and Tom
Ridge to the cabinet.
This branch will hear a case of New Jersey suing New
York over the rights to Ellis Island.
This branch will nominate three new justices to the
Supreme Court next year.
This branch will approve a law that will make
smoking in public places illegal.
This branch will make a treaty between the United
States and Canada concerning tightening U.S. borders.
16. Which branch of government is the strongest? Explain your answer. EXECUTIVE JUDICIAL ...
View Full Document
- Spring '10