Practice Exam III
Bio 142 Spring 2009
MULTIPLE CHOICE. Choose the one alternative that best completes the statement or
answers the question.
1) Semiconservative replication involves a template. What is the template?
A) DNA polymerase contains the template needed.
B) an RNA molecule
C) one strand of the DNA molecule
D) single-stranded binding proteins
E) chromosomal proteins
2) Put the following steps of DNA replication in chronological order.
1. Single-stranded binding proteins attach to DNA strands.
2. hydrogen bonds between base pairs of antiparallel strands are broken.
3. Primase binds to the site of origin.
4. DNA polymerase binds to the template strand.
5. An RNA primer is created.
A) 3, 2, 1, 5, 4 B) 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 C) 2, 1, 3, 5, 4 D) 1, 2, 3, 4, 4 E) 4, 3, 2, 1, 5
3) Identify the lagging strand in Figure 14.2.
A) a B) b C) c D) d
4) What is a major difference between eukaryotic DNA replication and prokaryotic DNA
A) DNA polymerase III of eukaryotes has both endonuclease and exonuclease activity, while
that of prokaryotes has only exonuclease activity.
B) Prokaryotic replication does not require a primer.
C) Prokaryotic chromosomes have a single origin of replication, while eukaryotic chromosomes
have multiple origins of replication.
D) DNA polymerases of prokaryotes can add nucleotides to both 3
ends of DNA strands,
while those of eukaryotes function only in the 5
E) none of the above