Kerry’s research area is in work equity so when studying for the final it would be a safe bet
that he is going to like those areas more, and put more questions on the test about this
beginning material than the groups or leadership sections.
1. What are the 5 needs in Maslow’s hierarchy of needs? (Know what each need is & be
able to recognize what need is being satisfied in a given situation)
-- need for food, water, air, shelter, procreational sex, and clothing (bottom of
-- need for security, stability, and freedom from fear or threat (health insurance)
-- need for friendship, affection, acceptance, and interaction with others (office parties)
-- need for personal feelings of achievement, self-esteem, recognition and respect
from peers (rewards)
-- a feeling of self-fulfillment or the realization of one’s potential
maximum personal motivation, the need for growth and development, be all that you can be!
Can you move beyond self- actualization? no
Money could satisfy all needs
2. According to Maslow Hierarchy of Needs, what motivates your behavior?
- The lowest unsatisfied need in the hierarchy (physiological, if it is met, then it is safety)
3. What does Maslow believe about satisfied needs?
“Lower” needs would have to be satisfied before the next “higher” need could motivate
- Once they are satisfied
they no longer motivational,
you move up and move on
- How many needs at a time can motivate you? one at a time
4. If a need is frustrated, what will the employee experience, according to Maslow? Can the
employee still be motivated if his/her needs are frustrated?
- The state of “stuckedness”, being stuck
- You can’t go up or down
- The employee can no longer be motivated (productivity, etc. will all suffer)
5. What needs are typically unsatisfied in most organizations? Why is this the case? What
would help satisfy these needs?
- Esteem and self actualization
- because most jobs are specialized
- Enriched or craft would help satisfy these needs
Good health insurance-
Apple wine and cheese party-
Banquet recognize performance with award-
Money- Can satisfy all of your needs