Rules for liability arising from a private wrong committed by one personal against
Basic rules for legal and political systems
Creates “federal” system of government with a division of powers.
Protection of basic rights and freedoms- Charter of rights and freedoms.
Constitution act, 1867
Federalism and Division of Powers
– Constitution act 1982
38. (1) An Amendment to the constitution of Canada may be made by proclamation by the
governor general under the Great Seal of Canada where so authorized by
(a) Resolutions of the Senate and House of Commons; and
(b) (b) Results of legislative assemblies of at least two-third of the provinces that have,
in the aggregate, according to the then latest general census, at least fifty percent of
the population of all provinces.
52. (1) The constitution of Canada is the supreme law of Canada, and any law that is
inconsistent with the provisions of the constitution is, to the extent of the inconsistency, of
no force or effect.
· Highest source of law in Canada. Any law in Canada that is inconsistent with the
constitution is invalid.
· Difficult to amend. Need approval of both: Federal parliament (House of commons
and senate) and two-thirds of all provinces with at least 50% of population.
System of Government
· An Act of the imperial parliament for the Union of Canada, Nova Scotia and New