HW 6 Solutions - Steven Weber Dept of ECE Drexel University...

Info icon This preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Steven Weber Dept. of ECE Drexel University ENGR 361: Statistical Analysis of Engineering Systems (Spring, 2010) Homework 6 Solutions Question 1: Exercise 55, § 3.4, p.114 Twenty percent of all telephones of a certain type are submitted for service while under warranty. Of these, 60% can be repaired, whereas the other 40% must be replaced with a new unit. If a company purchases ten of these telephones, what is the probability that exactly two will end up being replaced under warranty? The probability of a phone needing repair and being replaced under warranty is: P (repair replaced) = P (replaced | repair) P (repair) = 0 . 4 × 0 . 2 = 0 . 08 . (1) Let X Bin(10 , 0 . 08) be the binomial random variable giving the number of the 10 purchased phones needing repair that require replacement. The problem asks for P ( X = 2). P ( X = 2) = 10 2 0 . 08 2 × 0 . 92 8 0 . 1478 . (2) Question 2: Exercise 60, § 3.4, p.115 A toll bridge charges $ 1.00 for passenger cars and $ 2.50 for other vehicles. Suppose that during daytime hours, 60% of all vehicles are passenger cars. If 25 vehicles cross the bridge during a particular daytime period, what is the resulting expected toll revenue?
Image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Image of page 2
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

What students are saying

  • Left Quote Icon

    As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.

    Student Picture

    Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.

    Student Picture

    Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.

    Student Picture

    Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern