Microbiology 102—Introductory Microbiology—Review self test
This review is intended to make sure that you are ready for this class. If you want, you can turn in your
answers at the beginning of class on Wednesday, October 1 on a blue scantron for an amount of extra
credit equivalent to one question on a midterm. These questions draw on material from prerequisite
classes, so it is assumed that you can answer them easily. If you can’t, review the material
Cell membranes are made of phospholipids; an example is pictured below.
1. Which portion of this molecule is an ester bond (a, b, c, d, or e)?
2. Which portion of this molecule is hydrophobic (a, b, c, d, or e)?
3. Which portion of this molecule is hydrophilic (a, b, c, d, or e)?
4. Which carbon atom is most oxidized (a, b, or e)?
5. Arrange the following organic compounds most reduced to most oxidized:
), acetate (CH
-COO-), acetaldehyde (CH
-CHO), ethanol (CH
a) ethane, acetate, acetaldehyde, ethanol
b) acetate, acetaldehyde, ethanol, ethane
c) ethane, ethanol, acetaldehyde, acetate
d) acetate, ethane, ethanol, acetaldehyde
6. Consider a simple redox reaction, the oxidation of methane: CH
+ 2 O
+ 2 H
O. Which of
these is not
a) carbon is serving as an electron acceptor