IME 320-W10 - L1 Mind Map

IME 320-W10 - L1 Mind Map - Human Factors And Technology...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–11. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Human Factors And Technology Course Overview IME 320 M. Lee McFarland With Assistance and Research by Alyssa Habing Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering Department Cal Poly State University – San Luis Obispo
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
User Centered Design Hazard Analysis Cognitive Map of User Data Collection and Analysis Environment Anthropometrics Mental Processing Model The Task? Product Idea The User? Software Design Interface Workplace Design Machine Interface Display Design Legend Inputs Outputs Focus Questions Click on any large box for more detail.
Background image of page 2
User Centered Design The User? Product Idea The Task? Return Click on any large box for more detail.
Background image of page 3

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
User Centered Design If an object, a system or an environment is intended for human use, then the design should be based upon the physical and mental characteristics of the human users (in so much as these may be determined by the investigative methods of the empirical sciences.) The criteria for a successful match include at the following: • functional efficiency • ease of use • comfort • health and safety of the user • quality of working life BodySpace 3 rd Edition, Pheasant 2006 Return
Background image of page 4
Product Idea 1. Recognition of a need* 2. Statement of a need 3. Concept of the product’s utilization* 4. Exploration of candidate product designs* 5. Selection of the specific design of the product* 6. Technical development 7. Production and distribution* 8. Use and maintenance* 9. Retirement and recycling Check out other flows for product design * Note: 1. The human factors problems that are expected are eliminated. 2. Skills that are required from the user and the maintainer shall be kept low. 3. Training that is required of the user and the maintainer shall be minimal. Return
Background image of page 5

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
The Task What does it do? What is it used for? How is it used? Return Click on any large box for more detail.
Background image of page 6
The User? Return Click on any large box for more detail. Use by whom How to use Ease of use Effect on the user
Background image of page 7

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Use by whom Return Most products are created so that approximately 95% of the population is able to use it correctly. However, the remaining 5% still needs to get targeted. It’s important to remember details such as: •Height •Weight •Hand size Fitting the Task to the Human 3 rd Edition, Kroemer & Grandjean 2005
Background image of page 8
How to use Return Depending on the task being performed, or how the operator is conducting a job, many aspects come into play. A few important ones to remember are: •Posture •Sitting, standing, change of posture, hand/arm postures •Movement •Lifting, carrying, pulling, pushing •Biomechanical, physiological and/or anthropometric background Fitting the Task to the Human 3 rd Edition, Kroemer & Grandjean 2005
Background image of page 9

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Return Integrating the user and the job they are performing is dependent on the ease of use. If the job fits the human, the ease in which the product is able to be used increases as well. Fitting the Task to the Human 3
Background image of page 10
Image of page 11
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 06/15/2010 for the course IME 320 taught by Professor Mcfarland during the Winter '10 term at Cal Poly.

Page1 / 64

IME 320-W10 - L1 Mind Map - Human Factors And Technology...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 11. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online