Apr-5-Ch-11-JOfinal.ppt

Apr-5-Ch-11-JOfinal.ppt - 4/5/10 Welcome to BSCI425 Apr. 5,...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–3. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
4/5/10 1 Welcome to BSCI425 Apr. 5, 2010 Announcements Gordis: Chapter 11 22/03/10 1 BSCI425 2010 @ S. Benson Announcements This Week: Chapters 11 and 12 REMINDER : In-class clicker quiz Wed. Test Update: Section 1 avg. is at ~94 pts. Questions?? 22/03/10 BSCI425 2010 @ S. Benson 2 Odds Ratio Case-Control and Cohort Studies Recall relative risk = Incidence in exposed/ Incidence in non-exposed A different way to express: relative odds or odds ratio Odds ratio = probability of outcome A/ probability of not outcome A In a dichotomous situation there are only two outcomes exp. Disease develops vs. did not develop Mortality due to agent vs. mortality due to other cause Imagine a case in which the probability of A is 30%; then not A equals 100% - 30% = 70% The odds ratio is 30% / 70% = 0.43 22/03/10 BSCI425 2010 @ S. Benson 3 More than two outcomes With disease X there are three possibilities following exposure A. No disease (5%) B. Mild symptoms (92%) C. Severe symptoms resulting in death see in (3%) What is the odds ratio for not dying if exposed? 22/03/10 BSCI425 2010 @ S. Benson 4
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
4/5/10 2 More than two outcomes With disease X there are three possibilities following exposure A. No disease (5%) B. Mild symptoms (92%) C. Severe symptoms resulting in death see in (3%)
Background image of page 2
Image of page 3
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Page1 / 5

Apr-5-Ch-11-JOfinal.ppt - 4/5/10 Welcome to BSCI425 Apr. 5,...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 3. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online