Between Public and Private- 407

Between Public and Private- 407 -...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–3. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Between Public and Private: Privatization of Highway 407 A Historical overview of toll roads in Ontario - The toll road/turnpike was introduced to Upper Canada from England in the early 1800s - The first Ontario toll road was established in 1805 - These roads did not become popular until after the War of 1812 - To take advantage of the highest possible volume of traffic, most toll roads were founded  on established main roads o Toll gates were erected every four or five miles and manned by a watchful sentry o There was no standard toll rate so each booth had different tolls o At the beginning the toll road boom resulted in well-maintained roads, however,  with time, high revenue caused operators to neglect toll maintenance. The high  costs of repairs also fuelled their reluctance to spend money on upgrading roads o To avoid paying the charges travelers would only use part of the road and turn off  and circumvented the toll  booth, or they would speed right through - An Act of 1840 established commissioners in each district of the province with authority  to improve macadamized roads. They had the right to alter or sell old public roads, with  supervision by engineers, surveyors, and collectors to whom the tolls might be given or  sold by private tender. Toll roads began to be managed on a uniform basis under a  single authority - The Office of the Commissioner of Roads was dissolved in 1841 o A newly established Board of Works that assumed the duties was the  replacement o All public works no vested in any other body were given to the Board, which  regulated tolls and duties for their use.  o A provincial highway system was created with the major authority allocated to the  province
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
- In 1849, the Baldwin Act gave municipalities control of the financing  and construction of  roads within their jurisdictions. The Act stated the road must be completed before tolls  could be levied and would be collected for a maximum of 21 years - The Act to Authorize Formation of Joint Stock Companies extended the toll system of  financing main roads to the municipalities o Municipal corporations could purchase stocks in companies formed under this  act, with the option to buy all stocks 21 years after completion of the road at  current value - In 1849 a revised schedule of tolls passed by parliament included the regulation of tolls 
Background image of page 2
Image of page 3
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Page1 / 6

Between Public and Private- 407 -...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 3. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online