LAB 8 v2 - LAB 8 NOTE: These labs are known for high...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–3. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
LAB 8 NOTE: These labs are known for high failure rates. Therefore, if I show an example using data, a graph, etc… yours may be totally different depending upon mine and yours success with the lab. So don’t freak if your data is completely different from mine. And therefore the analysis of results sometimes may need to be answered differently since you base your analysis off your data and not mine. DISCLAMIER: DO NOT CHEAT! Introduction G.H Hardy and W. Weinberg developed a theory that evolution could be described as a change of the frequency of alleles in an entire population. In a diploid organism that has gene a gene loci that each contain one of two alleles for a single trait t the frequency of allele A is represented by the letter p. The letter q represents the frequency of the a allele. An example is, in a population of 100 organisms, if 45% of the alleles are A then the frequency is .45. The remaining alleles would be 55% or .55. This is the allele frequency. An equation called the Hardy Weinberg equation for the allele frequencies of a population is p 2+ 2pq+ q 2 = 1. P represents the A allele frequency. The letter q represents the a allele. Hardy and Weinberg also gave five conditions that would ensure the allele frequencies of a population would remain constant. The breeding population is large. The effect of a change in allele frequencies is reduced. Mating is random. Organisms show no mating preference for a particular genotype. There is no net mutation of the alleles. There is no migration or emigration of organisms. There is no natural selection. Every organism has an equal chance for passing on their genotypes. If these conditions are met then no change in the frequency of alleles or genotypes will take place. A simple class experiment will take place to serve as model of the evolutionary process in a stimulated population. This experiment is great in order to test a few of the basic parts of population genetics. In the experiment the class will place a piece of paper in their mouth to see if they can taste the chemical PTC which is phenythiocarbamide . People with the alleles AA, which is homozygous, and Aa, which is heterozygous, will be able to taste the PTC. People that can’t taste PTC are aa. Hypothesis By allowing a class to see if they can taste PTC and recording the results the Hardy Weinberg equation can be used to determine the allele frequencies of the class. Materials The materials used in this experiment are as follows: strips of PTC test paper, paper and a pencil.
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Methods Begin by placing a piece of the PTC test paper in your mouth. Tasters will have a bitter taste in their mouth. The frequency of tasters (p 2 +2pq) is a found as a decimal by dividing the total number of tasters by the total number of students in the class. The frequency of nontasters (q 2 ) is found by dividing the number of tasters by the number of people in the class. Using the Hardy Weinberg equation the frequency of p and q can be
Background image of page 2
Image of page 3
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 08/23/2010 for the course CS 1371 taught by Professor Stallworth during the Spring '08 term at Georgia Institute of Technology.

Page1 / 9

LAB 8 v2 - LAB 8 NOTE: These labs are known for high...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 3. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online