This preview shows pages 1–3. Sign up to view the full content.
This preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.View Full Document
Unformatted text preview: Sex Wor k
• Definition: exchange of money for sexual services • Issues around sex work
– lack of respect – material conditions of work – double legal standard – objectification of women – power asymmetries • Alternative approaches
– decriminalization – economic opportunities Sex Wor k, cont.
– Sex Trafficking in women and children – Prostitution or sex slavery? – Influence of internet pornography – Global system: Promise of good job, Corruption at border, “training”, Control & abuse – U.S. response: vice, illegal aliens – Trafficking Victims Protection Act 2000 – Protect Act 2003 – outlaws sex tourism involving children Sex Wor k, 2
• Forced prostitution in U.S.
– prostitution/illegal immigration or slavery, human rights abuses? • Sex tourism in Thailand
– economic factors – cultural factors – individual life situations ...
View Full Document