BIOLOGY 1201 DR. POMARICO
Test Review for Exam 1
1. Which of the following sequences represents the hierarchy of biological organization from the
least to the most complex level?
a) atom, organelle, tissue, biosphere, ecosystem, population, organism
b) cell, community, population, organ system, atom, molecule, organelle
c) organism, cell, community, biosphere, molecule, tissue, organ
d) atom, molecule, cell, organ system, organism, population, ecosystem, biosphere
2. What is a hypothesis?
a) the same thing as an unproven theory
b) a possible explanation that can be tested
c) a fact based on quantitative data that is testable
d) an explanation of natural events that is based on a large number of observations
3. Which of the following is an example of qualitative data?
a) the temperature decreased from 20 degrees to 15 degrees Celcius
b) The plant’s height is 25 centimeters
c) The fish swam in a zig-zag motion
d) The contents of the human stomach are mixed about every 20 seconds.
4. Which of the following properties or processes do we associate with living things?
a) evolutionary adaptation
b) energy processing
c) growth and reproduction
d) all of the above
5. Which of the following taxonomic terms refers to the most inclusive group?
6. Which of the following statements is most clearly inductively derived?
a) If the animals observed require organic molecules as nutrients, then it can be concluded that
all animals require organic molecules as nutrients
b) an elephant is warm-blooded because it is a mammal
c) a paramecium moves by means of its cilia
d) if all flying animals are birds, then it can be concluded that bats are birds