340Lecture06

340Lecture06 - Lecture 6 Introduction to Non-verbal...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–5. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
COM 340 Lecture 6 Introduction to Introduction to Non-verbal Communication, Non-verbal Communication, and the and the Concept of Time in Culture Concept of Time in Culture
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
COM 340 2 Field of Nonverbal Communication Following are some of the areas in which nonverbal communication is studied: Time (chronemics) Distance behavior (proxemics) Touching behavior (haptics) Body behavior (kinesics) Physical qualities Appearance Artifacts Environmental factors Paralanguage
Background image of page 2
COM 340 3 Estimated that only about 30% to 45% of what is communicated in a conversation is verbal (coming from the voice and words themselves). This is based on two persons from the same culture speaking their native language. The other 55% to 70% comes from NVC. Upon hearing “nonverbal communication” most people envision gestures and body language. But, nonverbal communication is so much more than that and so very complicated, Overview of NVC
Background image of page 3

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
4
Background image of page 4
Image of page 5
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Page1 / 9

340Lecture06 - Lecture 6 Introduction to Non-verbal...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 5. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online