This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: © Prep101 Chem110 Practice Exam
1. What is the wavelength of light emitted when an electron in a hydrogen atom
undergoes a transition from the n = 5 to n = 2 level?
a) 663 nm
b) 833 nm
c) 546 nm
d) 521 nm
e) 434 nm
2. Which one of the following transitions for the H atom produces radiation of the
a) n = 2 to n = 3
b) n = 3 to n = 2
c) n = 5 to n = 6
d) n = 6 to n = 5
e) n = 2 to n = 1
3. The square of the wave function, Ψ2 for an electron in an atom
a) describes the energy of the electron
b) specifies the momentum of the electron.
c) gives the probability of finding the electron in a region of space.
d) is proportional to the velocity of the electron.
e) is inversely proportional to the distance between the electron and the nucleus.
4. Which of the following sets of quantum numbers is not permissible?
a) n = 1, l = 0, ml = 0, ms = +1/2
b) n = 4, l = 0, ml = 0, ms = +1/2
c) n = 3, l = 3, ml = −3, ms = −1/2
d) n = 2, l = 1, ml = 1, ms = −1/2
e) n = 2, l = 0, ml = 0, ms = +1/2
5. What is the ground-state electron configuration of a titanium atom?
6. What is the ground-state electronic configuration of the Cu2+ ion?
a) [Ar]3d 9
b) [Ar]3d 74s2
c) [Ar]3d 94s2
d) [Kr]4d 75s2
e) [Ar]4d 9 © Prep101
7. Which of the following is correct?
a) Zeff s orbital < Zeff p orbital < Zeff d orbital < Zeff f orbital
b) Zeff s orbital ≥ Zeff p orbital ≥ Zeff d orbital ≥ Zeff f orbital
c) Zeff s orbital > Zeff p orbital > Zeff d orbital > Zeff f orbital
d) Zeff s orbital > Zeff p orbital > Zeff d orbital < Zeff f orbital
e) Zeff s orbital ≥ Zeff p orbital > Zeff d orbital > Zeff f orbital
8. Which of the following has a noble gas configuration?
e) Transitions metals cannot attain a noble gas configuration
9. Which of the following has the highest electron affinity?
10. Arrange the following in decreasing atomic radius: Na, Al, P, Mg, Cl.
a) Al, P, Mg, Cl, Na
b) Al, Na, P, Mg, Cl
c) Na, Mg, Al, P, Cl
d) Na, Al, P, Mg, Cl
e) Mg, P, Na, Al, Cl
11. Which of the following species is written in decreasing radius?
a) Be, Mg, Ba
b) N3-, O2-, Fc) Tl3+, Tl2+, Tl+
d) Ti, Cr, Fe, Zn
e) None of the above
12. Which of the following species is the most paramagnetic?
c) Fd) N2e) P3+ © Prep101
13. Which of the following has the highest first ionization energy?
14. Which of the following is the most ionic in nature?
15. A humanoid skeleton was found to contain 14C with a decay rate of 3.1 counts per
minute per gram of carbon. Assuming that the rate of decay is 13.6 counts per minute
per gram, calculate the age of the remnant. 14C has a half-life of 5730 years.
a) 12 226 years
b) 12 152 years
c) 12 000 years
d) 11 986 years
e) Indeterminate – the sample is too degraded.
16. Which of the following emissions result in a decrease in Z by 1?
a) alpha paticles
b) beta particles
c) positron emission
d) gamma emission
e) both b) and c)
17. Which of the following is true?
(i) a proton is converted into a neutron in electron capture
(ii) gamma rays are weak since they are emitted after alpha and beta particles
(iii) a neutrino is emitted in the beta process
(iv) a positron increases the atomic mass
a) both (i) and (iv)
b) both (i) and (iii)
c) both (ii) and (iii)
d) only (i), (iii) and (iv)
e) all of the above are true © Prep101
18. Which of the following particle(s) is deflected in a magnetic field?
d) alpha and beta
e) all of the above
19. The radioactive decay law is defined as:
a) the amount of radioactive elements after a certain time
b) the ratio of radioactive to non radioactive atoms over time
c) the amount of radioactive element left after decaying for a period of time
d) the rate at which the concentration of radioactive elements is halved
e) none of the above
20. What is the correct Lewis structure for H2CO? a)
5 21. Arrange the following species in order of increasing bond length (longest to
CO, CO2, CO32-, CH3OH
e) CO, CO2, CO32-, CH3OH
CO, CO32-, CO2, CH3OH
CH3OH, CO32-, CO2, CO
CH3OH, CO2, CO32-, CO
They all have the same bond lengths. © Prep101
22. For the following structure, how many atoms are sp2 hybridized? a)
5 23. Which of the following will give a tetrahedral molecule with sp3 hybrids?
d) all of the above
e) only b) and c)
24. Using the molecular orbital model, determine the bond order of O2-.
25. If a germanium crystal is doped with aluminium, what type of semiconductor would
it be and what carries the charge?
a) n-type, holes
b) n-type, electrons
c) p-type, holes
d) p-type, electrons
e) it is a pn-junction © Prep101
Use this structure of indigo to answer the following questions:
C O C CC N H H C
H C C C N C H O C C
C C C H H H 26. What is the hybridization of the C atoms?
27. This molecule is:
a) cis and polar
b) cis and non-polar
c) trans and polar
d) trans and non-polar
e) it is not a geometric isomer
28. How many σ and π bonds are present?
a) 24σ and 9π
b) 23σ and 9π
c) 33σ and 9π
d) 32σ and 9π
e) a) or c)
29. Name the following compound: [Co(en)2(H2O)CN]Cl2.
a) bisethylenediamineaquocyanocobalt(III) dichloride
b) diethylenediamineaquocyanocobalt(III) chloride
c) aquocyanobisethylenediaminecobalt(III) chloride
d) aquocyanobisethylenediaminedichloride cobalt(III)
e) aquocyanobisethylenediaminecobalt(II) dichloride
30. What is the formula for this compound dichlorobis(ethylenediamine)platinum(IV)
e) [Pt(en)2Cl2]NO3 © Prep101
31. What is the coordination number and oxidation state of [Co(NH3)6]Cl2?
a) 8, 8
b) 6, 8
c) 6, 2
d) 8, 2
e) 8, 4
32. Which of the following combinations is correct?
a) high spin complex, strong-field ligands, strongly paramagnetic
b) high spin complex, strong-field ligands, weakly paramagnetic
c) low spin complex, weak-field ligands, strongly paramagnetic
d) low spin complex, strong-field ligands, strongly paramagnetic
e) low spin complex, strong-field ligands, weakly paramagnetic
33. Arrange the following orbitals in decreasing energy for a square planar geometry:
dxy, dxz, dyz, dz2 , dx2– dy2.
dxy = dxz = dyz < dx2 – dy2 < dz2
dx2 – dy2 = dz2 < dxy = dxz = dyz
dx2 – dy2 < dz2 < dxy < dxz < dyz
dx2 – dy2 < dxy < dz2 < dxz = dyz
dx2 – dy2 < dz2 < dxy = dxz = dxy a)
e) 34. The compound Ni(H2O)6Cl2 is green while Ni(NH3)6Cl2 I purple. Why?
a) NH3 has a larger crystal field splitting then H2O
b) NH3 is a stronger field ligand than H2O
c) Ni complexed with NH3 absorbs yellow-green light
d) Only a) and b)
e) All of the above
35. What type of isomer is this compound displaying?
Ir NH3 Cl
mer © Prep101
36. Determine the colour of the Cu(H2O)62+ complex if it absorbs the wavelength at a
frequency of 5x1014Hz.
37. When placing electrons in a crystal field energy diagram for an octahedral complex,
the 4th goes where to make it a low spin complex?
a) in the higher orbital, unpaired
b) in the higher orbital, paired
c) in the lower orbital, unpaired
d) in the lower orbital, paired
e) in between the dx2-dy2 and dz2 orbitals
38. Which one of the following bonds is the most ionic in character?
39. Which of the following has the lowest boiling point? CH3
III Structure I
Structure II and III
None of the above 40. Which of the following are solids at room temperature and contains covalent bonds?
d) SiO2 © Prep101
41. NO2 NO2
m.p. 45C p-nitrophenol
m.p. 115C p-nitrophenol has a higher melting point because of:
a) more intermolecular hydrogen bonds
b) more intramolecular hydrogen bonds
c) has no dipole moment
d) has a dipole towards the NO2
e) more resonance structures
42. Which of the following holds true for polarizability?
a) dispersion forces becomes stronger as polarizability increases
b) the tendency for charge separation to be cancelled out
c) the tendency for charge separation to occur in a molecule as a whole
d) both a) and c)
e) both a) and b)
43. Propane, CH3CH2CH3 has a boiling point of 231°C, whereas for acetaldehyde,
CH3HC=O, it is 294°C. What important intermolecular force will explain this result?
a) London forces
44. Arrange the following halogens melting points in decreasing order based on
e) I2, Br2, Cl2, F2
Br2, I2, Cl2, F2
I2, Br2, Cl2, F2
They are all the same.
Impossible to determine. © Prep101
45. The intermolecular forces in CH3-O-CH2-CH3 are:
i) dipole interactions
ii) hydrogen bonding
iii) London dispersion forces
all of the above
more than one of the above 46. Which of the following is a naturally occurring allotrope of carbon?
d) a) and b)
e) a) and c)
47. For the halogen group, which of the following is correct about melting point trends?
a) they increase from bottom to top
b) they are unpredictable
c) they decrease from top to bottom
d) they increase from top to bottom
e) they don’t have melting points since they are gases
48. Which of the following is highly reactive with water?
49. The molecule responsible for the structure of cement is:
d) All of the above
e) None of the above
50. Which of the following metalloids cannot be used as a the base material for a
e) Ge ...
View Full Document