Lec1 - Physics 8B Professor Catherine Bordel Lecture 1 ASUC...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Physics 8B Professor Catherine Bordel 08/27/10 Lecture 1 ASUC Lecture Notes Online is the only authorized note-taking service at UC Berkeley. Do not share, copy, or illegally distribute (electronically or otherwise) these notes. Our non- profit, student-run program depends on your individual subscription for its continued existence. These notes are copyrighted by the University of California and are for your personal use only. D O N O T C O P Y Sharing or copying these notes is illegal and could end note taking for this course. ANNOUNCEMENTS My office is located in 311 Birge , and you can find me there when I’m not teaching or in the lab. The best way to get in contact with me is through email, [email protected] . We’re going to have 3 lectures per week on Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 3–4 p.m. I will hold 3 office hours, one on Monday in my office from 2-3 before lecture and on Wednesdays and Fridays after lecture from 4–5 p.m. in 1 Le Conte. All the GSIs will have office hours, and you can go to any of their office hours. I’ve posted some material on bSpace, but I don’t know if all of you could access bSpace. There is the syllabus and a course information file where you have some details about the discussion and lab sections, make up labs, grades, homework. I encourage you to read that. What I can tell you briefly is that there is a drop deadline next Friday, so keep in mind that you have to attend discussion and lab or else you will be dropped from the course. I will use bSpace to post some materials especially before the midterms. For example, practice midterms will be posted and some announcements, so try to go to bSpace from time to time to check. There won’t be any makeup labs at the end of semester, so if you miss a lab, take it the same week in another section, otherwise you’re going to have a problem at the end of the semester. So if you know you’re going to have a problem, make sure you can go to another section. Each week you will have problems on Mastering Physics, so there is the code MPBORDEL58413 . I’ve already posted the tutorial so you can learn how to use Mastering Physics. Starting next Monday you’ll have another set of problems on electric charge and force. Each week the deadline is going to be Friday at 8 p.m. For the labs and the homework, I’m going to drop your lowest score for both. You’ll see on the course information that homework is worth 15%, labs 10%, and exams 75%. 25% is for your best midterm, intermediate midterm is worth 15%, and lowest is 10%. The last exam is going to be a dual exam – both the third midterm and the final, which is cumulative and worth 25%. You have 3 midterms plus a final. You will have letter grade, conversion will be done at end of course. Midterms will be percentage grades, and then at the very end when we have everything, we’ll do the math and work on the cutoffs between the letter grades. The
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Image of page 2
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 10/02/2010 for the course PHYSICS 8B taught by Professor Shapiro during the Spring '07 term at Berkeley.

Page1 / 3

Lec1 - Physics 8B Professor Catherine Bordel Lecture 1 ASUC...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 2. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online