syllabuscpsyCYF4334WFall2010

syllabuscpsyCYF4334WFall2010 - SYLLABUS CPSY 4334W:...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–3. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
SYLLABUS CPSY 4334W: Children and Youth in Society, Fall, 2010 Location : 116 Armory Time: Tues., Thurs., 12:20-2:15 PM Instructor : Professor Steven Yussen Room 104C ICD; 612-626-9844; syussen@umn.edu Office hours: By appointment Teaching Assistants: Kate Clayton Jone0998@umn.edu Megan Raby megraby@gmail.com Abbey Karich Kari0060@umn.edu Course description: This course will consider the development of children in contemporary society, in particular, how that development is influenced by social institutions and structure and the social contexts in which children live and develop. The basic premise of the course is that all development- biological, physical, social, emotional, and cognitive- is influenced by society and social context. Society is a broad term, of course. But for our purposes we’ll consider the many social institutions and structures that, in a sense, define society such as political and economic systems, medical and legal systems, family, school, and media, and culture, race, and class. These structures and institutions influence child development in myriad ways, large and small. Although we often describe aspects of children’s development in normative terms (most children develop this way) and regard development as universal (most children all over the world develop this way), we know these claims often are wrong or prove to be oversimplifications. The major focus of the class will be on children growing up in the contemporary United States, to gain a sense of the wide range of social circumstances
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
that effect children’s lives. However, since children in America account for only about 5 percent of all children in the world, we will also devote some attention to the experiences of the other 95 percent of the world’s children- particularly considering how key social conditions and institutions elsewhere in the world diverge from those experienced by children in the US. And, since the experiences of children in contemporary America are the culmination of many centuries of change and progress, we will also give some attention to how our conception of children and their role in society has changed in tandem with a number of philosophical, sociological, political and economic changes
Background image of page 2
Image of page 3
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Page1 / 5

syllabuscpsyCYF4334WFall2010 - SYLLABUS CPSY 4334W:...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 3. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online