stat200ch4_winter10 - STAT 200 Chapter 4 Probability: The...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–4. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: STAT 200 Chapter 4 Probability: The Study of Randomness Randomness (Section 4.1) Consider throwing a thumbtack. The outcome can be a point-up or point-down, but we cannot predict with certainty which outcome will occur before throwing the thumbtack. This is a random phenomenon . What is the chance or probability that the thumbtack lands with point-up? Lets throw a thumbtack for a few times and look at the outcomes. Toss # Outcome (D-point-down, U-point-up) 1 D 2 D 3 U 4 D 5 U Based on the five attempts or trials , we have 40% point-up and 60% point-down. Can we conclude the chance of landing with point-up is 40%? Suppose for each additional toss, we compute the relative frequency of point-up (i.e., the % of landing with point-up) from all the available tosses. Total # tosses #Ds #Us relative freq. of U 1 1 0% (0/1) 2 2 0% (0/2) 3 2 1 33% (1/3) 4 3 1 25% (1/4) 5 3 2 40% (2/5) If we continue to throw the thumbtack and keep track of the relative frequency of point-up, we will see that the relative frequency eventually stabilizes at a single value. 1 We can see it in the plot of the relative frequency against the number of tosses. The relative frequency of point-up stays relatively constant at around 60% for a large num- ber of tosses. Independent trials: We have done a series of tosses of the thumbtack. Suppose the thumbtack lands with point-up in this toss. Does this outcome affect the outcome of the next toss? No. We say the tosses are independent . Trials are said to be independent if the outcome of a trial does not influence the outcome of the other trials. Law of large numbers (LNN) The Law of Large Numbers states that, given that the repeated trials are independent, the long run relative frequency of an outcome approaches the true relative frequency of the outcome as the number of trials increases. The tosses are independent. The long run relative frequency of point-up gives the proba- bility of tossing a point-up, which is 60%. 2 Probability concepts (Section 4.2) A sample space S is the set of of all possible outcomes of a random phenomenon. An event is an outcome or a combination of outcomes from a random phenomenon. We denote an event by an uppercase letter, e.g., A, B, C. e.g., Tossing a point-up is an event. Tossing a point-down is another event. Tossing two point-ups in two tosses is also an event. The notation P ( A ) denotes the probability of an event A that will occur. Properties of P ( A ): 1. 0 P ( A ) 1 P ( A ) = 0 implies event A is impossible. P ( A ) = 1 implies event A is certain. The larger the P ( A ), the higher the chance that the event A will occur....
View Full Document

This note was uploaded on 10/21/2010 for the course STATISTICS Stat 200 taught by Professor Eee during the Spring '10 term at The University of British Columbia.

Page1 / 12

stat200ch4_winter10 - STAT 200 Chapter 4 Probability: The...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 4. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online