lec08

lec08 - 4/8/09 LECTURE 07: EMOTION AND MOTIVATION LECTURE...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–7. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
4/8/09 1 The Function of Emotion The Experience of Emotion Predicting and Remembering Emotion LECTURE 07: EMOTION AND MOTIVATION Grades from Exam 1 will be available later this week LECTURE 07: EMOTION AND MOTIVATION LECTURE 07: EMOTION AND MOTIVATION LECTURE 07: EMOTION AND MOTIVATION
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
4/8/09 2 LECTURE 07: EMOTION AND MOTIVATION LECTURE 07: EMOTION AND MOTIVATION LECTURE 07: EMOTION AND MOTIVATION LECTURE 07: EMOTION AND MOTIVATION
Background image of page 2
4/8/09 3 LECTURE 07: EMOTION AND MOTIVATION The Function of Emotion Valenced Unvalenced Generally Uncontrollable Generally Controllable Not Referential Referential Finite Infinite Emotions Thoughts Signature Expression No Signature Expression POSITIVE NEGATIVE The Function of Emotion The Function of Emotion “Are things good for any other reason except that they end in pleasure, and get rid of and avert pain? Are you looking to any other standard but pleasure and pain when you call them good?” Plato (380 BCE)
Background image of page 3

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
4/8/09 4 The Function of Emotion The Hedonic Principle: People are motivated to experience pleasure and avoid pain Ostracism Shame or Loneliness Loss Sadness Aggression Anger or Fear Exemplification Pride Food, Sex, Sleep Pleasure Mating, Kinship Love The Function of Emotion Emotion is a Fitness-O-Meter & Guidance System BAD GOOD The Function of Emotion Voltaire Rousseau How Do Emotions Guide Us? The Function of Emotion Well Badly
Background image of page 4
4/8/09 5 The Function of Emotion Badly The Function of Emotion Badly The Function of Emotion Badly Odds of fire in a year are 1%. Do you want… Alarm A, which has a 75% chance of detecting fire Alarm B , which has a 99% chance of detecting fire but . 01% of causing one The Function of Emotion Badly
Background image of page 5

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
6 The Function of Emotion Odds of fire in a year are 1%. Do you want… Alarm A, which has a 75% chance of detecting fire Alarm B , which has a 99% chance of detecting fire but . 01% of causing one Badly The Function of Emotion Odds of fire in a year are 1%. Do you want… Alarm A , which has a 75% chance of detecting fire Alarm B , which has a 99% chance of detecting fire but . 01% of causing one Badly .0025% chance of undetected fire .0001% chance of undetected fire The Function of Emotion Badly "If a person rides a bicycle, then she burns calories" VALID Modus ponens : "Chris is riding a bicycle; therefore, she is burning calories.“ Modus tollens : "Chris is not burning calories; therefore, she is not riding a bicycle.“ INVALID Denying the antecedent : "Chris is not riding a bicycle; therefore, she is not burning calories.“ Affirming the consequent : "Chris is burning calories; therefore, she is riding a bicycle." The Function of Emotion Badly "If a person rides a bicycle, then she burns calories" “If a person’s mother dies, then she cries
Background image of page 6
Image of page 7
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 11/07/2010 for the course PSY 1 taught by Professor Fridlund during the Spring '08 term at UCSB.

Page1 / 20

lec08 - 4/8/09 LECTURE 07: EMOTION AND MOTIVATION LECTURE...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 7. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online