January 23: Lecture 8
- Finish reading Ch.7 (if you have not done so yet)
- Continue working the Ch. 7 assigned problems:
3, 5, 11, 13, 15, 23, 25, 31, 33, 39, 43,
45, 51, 53a, 55, 65
- Attend your normal Section this week. Chem 6B Helproom is open 4-10 PM through
- Review Session 1 for Exam 1 is Saturday 1-4 PM in 108 Peterson Hall.
- Work Practice Exam 1 and 2 under Exam-like conditions (2 hours using Eqn Sheet and
Calculator; no interruptions). Practice Exam 2 and the Eqn Sheet will be up as soon as
- Get a Remote Transmitter (IR Type) if you have not done so
Bond Enthalpies or Bond Energies
: We often use “average” bond enthalpies for estimating the
energy released or absorbed during a reaction.
Bond enthalpies of molecules such as diatomics
provide direct values for bonds that are often of interest, such as for H-H, F-F, Cl-Cl, Br-Br, I-I,
H-F, H-Cl, H-Br or H-I single bonds, O=O double bonds, or N≡N and C≡O triple bonds.