Feb10Lec - Feb 10th Transcribed lecture notes. Absorption:...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–3. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Feb 10 th Transcribed lecture notes. 1 Absorption: How Food Enters My Living Space. The following lectures will help you with Lab #2 materials as well as Prelim questions. -- Mon Feb 8 th , Today [Feb 10 th ] and Friday’s lecture. (Clicker Question) answer = B Last Class Covered : The role of the mouth and stomach in the chemical and mechanical process of digestion. That digestion is regulated by the nervous system (e.g. conditioned reflexes) and the endocrine system (e.g. the fight or flight response). How Warren and Marshall discovered the microbial cause of 75-80% of all ulcers. Stress is responsible for causing the other 20% of ulcers. Today’s Class Covers: The role of the small and large intestines, the pancreas, the liver and the gall bladder in digestion and absorption. Intestinal gas (ppt SERIES) Various views of the Digestive System (ppt Series) Ivan Pavlov described the Digestive canal as being analogous to a chemical factory. Chemistry of digestion occurs in different compartments Secreting glands with their excretory ducts (ppt Series) Summary of Digestion and the major areas that it occurs within the human body. NOTE: This section of the notes is covered by your Lab 2 activities and the Lab 2 mini-lectures on Blackboard. Four major stages of food processing by the human body includes? [Hint: (1) Ingestion, (2) digestion, …. .] Know where the digestion of carbohydrates, lipids and proteins begins in the body and what enzymes and mechanical process aid this. The majority of nutrients are absorbed where in the human digestive tract?
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Feb 10 th Transcribed lecture notes. 2 (ppt) 1. Starch digestion begins in the mouth, stops in the stomach, & finishes in the small intestine 2. Protein digestion begins in the stomach. These components of food, along with the lipids, continue being digested in the small intestine. 3.The small intestine is the major organ of chemical digestion and absorption . In the small intestine, the food changes from chyme to chyle --an opaque white substance that resembles cream. (ppt) Duodenum First part of the small intestine – DURING LAB, you will see how the Pyloric Sphincter separates (and controls flow) the posterior end of the stomach from the duodenum of the small intestine (ppt) Neutralization of stomach acids The acidic chyle (pH 2) leaving the stomach MUST be neutralized to prevent burning the small intestine. Glands that line the duodenum, secrete bicarbonate ions , which combine with the acid ( H + -- recall acids give off H + ) coming from the stomach in order to partially neutralize (make it less acidic) it by producing CO 2 and H 2 O according to the following reaction: See next ppt slide for chemical equation for the process of neutralizing stomach acids [note: you saw this equation during your photosynthesis lab too]. (ppt) The carbon dioxide produced by the small intestine collects and is given off as
Background image of page 2
Image of page 3
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Page1 / 7

Feb10Lec - Feb 10th Transcribed lecture notes. Absorption:...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 3. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online