Chapter 17 Outline

Chapter 17 Outline - Chapter 17 Communication*See Manager's...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Chapter 17: Communication *See Manager’s Challenge on page 557. I. Communication and the Manager’s Job Managers spend at least 80 percent of every working day in direct communication with others, and using the other 20 percent doing desk work, most of which is communication in the form of reading and writing. See exhibit 17.1 on page 558. Managers facilitate strategic conversations by using open communication, actively listening to others, and applying the practice of dialogue and feedback for learning and change. Strategic Conversation is dialogue across boundaries and hierarchical levels about the team or organization’s vision, critical strategic themes, and the values that help achieve important goals. o What is Communication? Communication is the process by which information is exchanged and understood by two or more people, usually with the intent to motivate or influence behavior. Communication means to share —not to speak or to write. o The Communication Process See exhibit 17.2 on page 560. Two essential elements in every communication situation are the sender and the receiver . The sender encodes the idea; to encode is to select symbols with which to compose a message. A message is the tangible formulation of an idea to be sent to a receiver. A channel is the carrier of communication (what the message is sent through). The receiver decodes the message; to decode is to translate the symbols used in a message for the purpose of interpreting its meaning. Feedback occurs lastly, it is a response by the receiver to the sender’s communication. Without feedback, communication is one-way, with it, it is two-way. II. Communicating Among People o Communication Channels Managers can use face-to-face, telephone calls, instant messaging systems, e-mail, memos, letters, newsletters, etc. to use as communication channels. Channel Richness
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Image of page 2
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 11/10/2010 for the course POM 620 taught by Professor Daughtry during the Spring '08 term at Rutgers.

Page1 / 3

Chapter 17 Outline - Chapter 17 Communication*See Manager's...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 2. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online