week 9 - Monday Movie Wednesday Archaeology in Practice The...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Monday October 18, 2010 Movie Wednesday October 20, 2010 Archaeology in Practice: The Nitty Gritty -About 80% of what archaeology is in practice: data collection, management, and analysis -The other 20% (in terms of time) is “writeup” Creative Destruction: Experimental Archaeology -Broken ceramics -Using a rim diameter diagram to predict the size of the ceramics Recording Ceramic Data -How many of you have a body sherd-no trace of a rim? Cannot be used with the chart -Those with rim: calculate rim diameter and if it is polychrome (more then 1 color) Inferring Economic Processes -Production: technology, standardization, specialization, quality, elaboration -Distribution: place of production to place of consumption -Consumption: activity patterns serving wares, mix of liquid and solid consumables Link to other domains of culture -Political economy: global exchange system, global relation of production -Ideology: “distinction”- how consumption patterns display and perform status, distinction b/w classes or other social groups Friday October 22, 2010 Indus: State or Not? (Possehl) Possehl: What is state? -Centralization of power, big populations, urbanism, writing systems, craft specialization, -Defines state as having following traits: centralized, institutionalized leadership: kings as symbolic embodiment of the people, often deified;
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Image of page 2
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 11/10/2010 for the course ANTH 104 taught by Professor Wernke during the Fall '10 term at Vanderbilt.

Page1 / 4

week 9 - Monday Movie Wednesday Archaeology in Practice The...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 2. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online