Unformatted text preview: ean markets. 21st Century Labor Unions…
Increased Company Resistance
• Union memberships declined.
• Estimated 75% of employers who experience union organizing drives hire anti‐union consultants to orchestrate efforts to avoid unionization.
• Evidence suggests union workers are more productive than non‐union workers:
Better training programs
Increased commitment to job
More professional management in unionized firms. • Reduces firms’ profit rate 18% — Union workers expect higher pay for more skilled labor.
• Eliminating unions can undermine productivity over the long run. 9 SOC 313: Survey of Sociology of Work 21st Century Labor Unions…
ORGANIZING (CONTINUED) — Increased Company Resistance (Canada)
Wal‐Mart Suppresses Workers' Democratic Right to Choose a Union
Wal‐Mart has always said that it is not anti‐union, but rather its workers do not want a union. Workers tell a different story‐‐that Wal‐Mart intimidates, coerces and harasses employees to prevent...
View Full Document
- Fall '10
- Sociology, Trade union, Industrial Workers of the World, Industrial unionism, North American Labor, American Labor History…