Unformatted text preview: n in Unions
Starting in 1970s, AFL‐CIO strongly influenced by women’s movement.
• COALITION OF LABOR UNION WOMEN (CLUW) formed — Issues include: Outline of North American Labor History…
POSTWAR CHALLENGES AND OPPORTUNITIES (CONTINUED)
Public Sector Unions
• By 2000, almost 2/3 of federal employees were union members.
• Union membership — state, county, local employees — now five million. Elimination of restriction of women from certain occupations due to height/weight. Need for pregnancy leave.
Proposals for comprehensive child‐care programs. • Women’s wages in unionized jobs are higher than non‐union jobs.
• Disparity between men’s and women’s union‐job wages is significantly less. • Majority of states utilize final and binding arbitration for some or all state employees. Allows collective bargaining in public sector without use of strikes that might disrupt important public services.
• Most states — either statutory or tacit recognition of state workers’ rights to join unions, an...
View Full Document
- Fall '10
- Sociology, Trade union, Industrial Workers of the World, Industrial unionism, North American Labor, American Labor History…