Unformatted text preview: The House of Islam The The House of Islam The Muslim Populations
• • • • Indonesia, ca. 200,000,000 Pakistan, ca. 140,000,000 India, ca. 140,000,000 Bangladesh, ca. 115,000,000 Five Pillars of Islam Five
• Declaration of Faith (shah ādah ): “There is no god but God, and Muḥammad is the Messenger (/Prophet) of God.” • Prayer (ṣal āt / Indo-Per. n am āz) • Almsgiving • Ramaḍān Fast • Ḥajj (Pilgrimage to Mecca) Prayer Prayer
• Call to prayer • Contexts
– Home, Work – Mosque (led by an ī m ām ) • Preliminaries • Recitations from the Qurᵓān • Acts of prayer – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoNPSEWn6 Themes of Prayer Themes
• Human response before God: “submission” • God as single focus of worship • Unity of Muslim world • Remembrance of the Messenger • Recitation of the Message Ḥajj Ḥajj Pilgrimage to Mecca Preliminaries to the Ḥajj: Ḥajj: Entering Iḥrām Preliminaries to the Ḥajj: Preliminaries Uttering the Talbīyah “Here we come, O God, here we come! Here we come .... No partner have You.” Al-Ḥarām Mosque Al-Ḥarām Prelude to the Ḥajj: Ḥajj: Circumambulation Circumambulation (Ṭawāf) (Ṭawāf) of the Ka‘bahᶜᶜ Prelude to the Ḥajj: Prelude Circumambulation (Ṭawāf) of the Circumambulation Ka‘bah Ka‘bah
The Ka‘bah and the black stone Prelude to the Ḥajj: Prelude The “Running” The (Sa‘y) (Sa‘y) between al-Ṣafā and al-Marwah hills and Ḥajj ajj Ḥajj: ajj: Standing at plain of ‘Ar af āt Ḥajj ajj Ḥajj: Ḥajj: Stoning the pillars, Sacrificing an Stoning animal animal Ḥajj: ajj: R etur n to M ecca Ḥajj Ḥajj
• Act of Obedience • Act of Affirmation of the Oneness of God • Act of Remembrance – Abraham, Ishmael, and Hagar – The farewell pilgrimage of the Prophet • Act that brings sense of closeness to God • Act that reaffirms the ideal of Muslim Act of Remembrance Act Adam --> Noah --> Abraham --> Jesus --> Muḥammad Act of Remembrance: Act Abraham
+ Hagar --> Ishmael (Arabs) Muḥammad Abraham + Sarah --> Isaac (Israelites) --> Moses --> Jesus --> Act of Remembrance: Act Abraham • Ka‘ba • Black stone • The “running” (sa‘y) and the well of Zamzam • Stoning the pillars Act of R emembr ance: A ct M u ḥammad • Final pilgrimage • Final revelation Ḥajj Ḥajj
• Act of Obedience • Act of Affirmation of the Oneness of God • Act of Remembrance – Abraham, Ishmael, and Hagar – The farewell pilgrimage of the Prophet • Act that brings sense of closeness to God • Act that reaffirms the ideal of Muslim ...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 11/17/2010 for the course ANS ANS taught by Professor Brereton during the Spring '09 term at University of Texas.
- Spring '09