ch02 - Economics 11, Microeconomic Theory Professor:...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–12. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
1 Economics 11, Microeconomic Theory Professor: Maurizio Mazzocco Office: 8377 Bunche Hall E-mail: [email protected] Office Hour: Wed. 4:00-5:00pm
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
2 Class Web Site : •http://classes.sscnet.ucla.edu/course/view.php?name=10 F-ECON11-1. Text: • Walter Nicholson, Microeconomic Theory: Basic Principles and Extensions, 10th Edition. •The 9th Edition is also fine. You can also buy older or newer editions. In this case you are responsible for finding the material covered in class. •Digital version of the book, an eBook that you can download to your computer.
Background image of page 2
3 Course Requirements: • Students should attend lectures as well as a weekly discussion session with a teaching assistant; • Weekly problem sets; • 2 midterms and 1 final.
Background image of page 3

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
4 Problem Sets: • Will be assigned approximately once per week and will be graded; • Late homework will not be accepted for any reason; • Each student's lowest homework grade will be dropped; •You will receive 50% of the points by simply turning in a complete solution of problem set; •You will receive 25% of the points if you turn a complete solution of problem set; •The remaining 50% is assigned by grading randomly two parts each problem set.
Background image of page 4
5 Discussion Sessions: • The discussion sessions start this week; • Discussion sections will usually focus on the problem set assigned the previous week; • TAs will review material covered in the lectures that week.
Background image of page 5

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
6 Exams: • Two midterm exams will be given in class on October 26 and November 18; •These are the only times these exams will be offered, i.e. there are no makeup midterms; • A cumulative final (3-hour) exam will be given on Tuesday, December 7, from 3pm to 6pm.
Background image of page 6
7 Grading: Homework will count 10% of the final grade. For the remaining 90% two rules will be used: If the final exam score is below the scores on each of the two midterms, each exam will count 30%; For all other students the final exam will count 50% and the higher of the two midterms will count 40% (the lower midterm score is dropped). For any student missing one of the midterms for any reason, the latter calculation will be used with the one midterm taken counting 40%.
Background image of page 7

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
8 This grading scheme is designed: • To give students an opportunity to improve their grades if they do poorly on the first midterm; • To ensure that a consistent and fair policy is applied in the unusual case that a student must miss a midterm; • To avoid heavy weight on a single poor exam performance.
Background image of page 8
9 Microeconomic Theory The Course: • This is the first rigorous course in microeconomic theory • The main goal is to teach analytical tools that will be useful in other economic and business courses
Background image of page 9

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
10 Microeconomic Theory Microeconomics: • The branch of economics dealing with behavior of individual decision makers such as consumers and firms.
Background image of page 10
11 Everyday Economics Wake up: Stay in bed Go to class Breakfast: Cereals and Juice Eggs, bacon and coffee Economics : Maximizing behavior
Background image of page 11

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Image of page 12
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 11/17/2010 for the course ECON 11 taught by Professor Cunningham during the Spring '08 term at UCLA.

Page1 / 51

ch02 - Economics 11, Microeconomic Theory Professor:...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 12. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online