Study Guide for GCOM 122 Final Exam
If a term appears in
it is NOT
found in the Rothwell textbook.
Explain the differences between the three models of communication: linear, interactional/
interactive, and transactional.
Define the basic communication elements contained in the communication models
(channel, sender, receiver, message, encode, decode, context, fields of experience,
noise, feedback, etc.)
What are the most common myths about communication?
Define communication competence (recognize general elements of communication
Explain the two aspects of every message: Content and relationship.
What is the difference between intrapersonal, interpersonal, small group, and
What is a perceptual schema/set (prototype, stereotype,
How is self-concept developed (
, significant others, society, self-
10. What are some of the influences on perception (gender, culture, past experiences, mood,
11. What is self-disclosure?
12. Define the concepts of depth and breadth in terms of self-disclosure.
Explain Johari’s Window in terms of self-disclosure
14. What are the guidelines for offering and receiving self-disclosure?
15. What is meant by the term “reciprocal sharing of information”?
Why is it important?
16. Define self-serving bias.