Student Exploration: Force and Fan Carts
Vocabulary: force, friction, position, speed
Prior Knowledge Questions (Do these BEFORE using the Gizmo.)
1. If you are pushing a shopping cart and you start pushing harder, what happens?
2. What happens to a shopping cart if you get it rolling and then release it?
1. In the Gizmo, turn the fan Off. Click Play ( ). Did the cart move? _______
2. Click Reset ( ). Press the Low fan speed button to
turn on the fan. Click Play. What happened?
3. A force is something that causes change in motion.
What provided the force that made the cart speed up?
4. The speedometer shows the cart’s speed, or how fast it
moves. A speed of 30 cm per second means the cart
moves 30 cm every second. What was the final speed of the cart?
5. Friction is a force that works against motion as surfaces rub each other. Click Reset. Select
the No Friction surface. Click Play. What was the final speed this time?
Force and motion
Get the Gizmo ready:
• Click Reset.
• Change the Surface to Wood.
• Be sure there are no objects on the cart.
• The Fan speed should be set to Low.
Question: How does force affect motion?