Unformatted text preview: opes Trial
• Summer for the Gods, by Edward J. Larson • March 1925, Tennessee’s Butler Act is passed • ACLU offered to defend anyone willing to teach evolution in defiance of this law evolution in defiance of this law • City of Dayton (pop. 1,756), looking for publicity • John Scopes indicted in April of 1925 7 9/1/2010 The Scopes Trial
• Prosecution brings in William Jennings Bryan • Defense then brings in Clarence Darrow Bryan’s view on evolution
• Darwinism undermined morality • Vernon Kellogg, 1917, Headquarters Nights: A Record of Conversations and Experiences at the Headquarters of the German Army in at the Headquarters of the German Army in Belgium and France • Benjamin Kidd, 1918, The Science of Power • James Leuba, 1916, The Belief in God and Immortality Herbert Spencer
• 1864 Principles of Biology
– Coined “survival of the fittest the fittest” Is this Evolution by Natural Selection?
If Nature does not wish that weaker individuals should mate with the stronger, she wishes even less that a superior race should intermingle with an inferior one; because in such a case all her efforts, throughout hundreds of thousands of years, to establish an evolutionary higher stage of being, may thus be rendered futile.
– Adolph Hitler, Mein Kamph • But he really applied a Lamarckian sense of evolution to sociology rather than natural selection The “Moral” Problem Posed by Darwin
• Evolution by natural selection provides no clues for human conduct or moral dilemmas • People find comfort in order and purpose Does Evolution Make us Immoral?
"… the ethical progress of society depends, not on imitating [nature], still less in running away from it, but in combating it."
– T. H. Huxley 8...
View Full Document