Three-way interaction (Law enforcement, judiciary, social services)
Judicial System- Courts and lawyers interpret laws. Do not make the Laws.
Judges typically follow what other judges do. “Case Law”
Social Sciences- Political Science, Psych, ect… (Tarasoff ruling)
Law Enforcement- Don’t know all the laws therefore they are really “peace
officers.” Enforce laws. Can lobby. Enforce laws without violation of
All three are connected in building cases by using their specific
knowledge of the field of Forensic Science.
Kenneth Bianchi cousin by adoption, from buffalo, NY, moves to LA to be with
Angelo Buono. Fairly intelligent educated, talked psychologist into sharing office
space. Buono respected in business. Sentenced life without parole for being
convicted of 9 strangler slayings. Bianchi pleaded guilty to 5 and testified against
Buono. He was caught in Washington for the killing of 2 women. They would go
“cruising” as police officers and abduct unsuspecting women then rape and
strangle them leaving them on hillsides throughout Los Angeles. Bianchi
attempted to claim having multiple personality disorder, but was found to be
Roles for psychologist in the system
Basic scientist and researcher
– scientist who study phenomena in order to
understand them, without concern for whether their work will be used in solving
Applied scientist –
scientist who apply their knowledge to solving real-world
– eyewitness evidence, extenuating circumstances (e.g. social
– provide data to answer questions such as “I have instituted a
change, how do I know whether it was effective?”
– conduct community attitude surveys, prepare witnesses to
testify, advise lawyers on their presentation strategies, and conduct mock trials.
– selection, during trial.
Assessment of dangerousness
– parole boards, sentencing.
– to stand trial, to make a plea.
– children’s services
– police selection, police counseling, hostage negotiations,
– head start program, three strikes program, anti-crime
– counseling, in-house program, alternative treatments (e.g. for sex
Advocates for Laws and policies
– child’s videotaped testimony, three strikes
law, victim impact statements, gun control, and death penalty.
The 4 dilemmas in the system where psychologist play a role
The first dilemma: rights of individuals v. the common good
Values in conflict
Two models of the criminal system