This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: The Effects of Sexual Abuse Abuse
Ronda White PSY/265 University of Phoenix, Axia College Instructor, Lisa Tobler November 11, 2010 Rape
Short-term Effects Short-term Undergo a period of crisis
• Challenging period Physical and psychological effects
• • • Lack of self-esteem Depression Anxiety Difficulty returning to daily routine Guilty feelings
Google Images Childhood Sexual Abuse Childhood
Short-term Effects Psychological effects
• Aggression • Depression • Anxiety Physical effects
• Injuries to genitals • Psychosomatic effects Act out Regression
Google Images Rape Rape
Long-term Effects Sexual Interference
• Sexual fear • Desire for sex Psychological Interference
• Depression and/or anxiety May lead to drug/substance abuse Google Images Post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) Fear by association Childhood Sexual Abuse Childhood
Long-term Effects Psychological interferences
• • • Anxiety Fear Depression Promiscuity Altered sexual behavior • Sexual interferences PTSD
Google Images Conclusion Conclusion
Physical and psychological effects of Physical RAPE RAPE and
Google Images CHILDHOOD SEXUAL ABUSE CHILDHOOD are negatively life-changing. are References References
Google. (2010). Google Images. Retrieved from Google. Google Retrieved http://images.google.com/images?q=sexual+abuse&hl= http://images.google.com/images?q=sexual+abuse&hl en&gbv=2&tbs=isch:1&ei=_J3dTL_PL8L58AbXspH9Dg &sa=N&start=288&ndsp=18 Rathus, S. A., Nevid, J.S., and Fichner-Rathus, L. (2005). Rathus, Human sexuality in a world of diversity. (6th ed.) Boston, MA: Allyn and Bacon. Sarin, S., & Nolen-Hoeksema, S. (2010). The dangers of dwelling: An examination of the relationship between rumination and consumptive coping in survivors of childhood sexual abuse. Cognition & Emotion, 24(1), 71-85. Cognition 24(1), doi:10.1080/02699930802563668. doi:10.1080/02699930802563668. ...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 12/06/2010 for the course PSY/265 PSY/265 taught by Professor Axiacollege during the Fall '09 term at University of Phoenix.
- Fall '09