985f5bcaaf5fcf61037a646ee79cf338

985f5bcaaf5fcf61037a646ee79cf338 - 10/15/09 GET NOTES!...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–4. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
10/15/09 GET NOTES! 10/20/09 1. Suez Canal 2. Sinai Peninsula 3. Jerusalem 4. Golden Heights 5. West Bank 6. Gaza Strip converted Palestine into Israel through the first of the wars b/t Israel and its neighbors o war began in 1948 and ended in 1949 o result is by summer of 1949, the Jews living in Israel managed to take control of 80% of what had been Palestine, the remaining 20% of Palestine was made up of west bank of Jordan river and Gaza Strip remained in hands of Palestinians (all Muslim Arabs) o result of first war—state of Israel is created and it is roughly 80% of what had been old Palestine o roughly 800,000 lived in state of Israel (650,000 were Jewish and the rest were Christians or ?) SUEZ CANAL ATTACK there was no peace b/t these countries o Arabs were unwilling to do deal with Israel; thus,
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
o Israel had friends around the world w/ US and western Europe it also had recognition of Soviet Union, but in its own neighborhood it had nothing but enemies between 1949 and 1956, the antagonism b/t state of Israel and its Arab neighbors festered and frequently broke into armed combat in 1954, matters became significantly complicated w/ the seize of power into Egypt named Jamal Abd An-Nasir, who was generally known in western press as Nasser o called himself prime minister, but was a military dictator o Arab Nationalist who was convinced he should lead the Arabs to world greatness o 1 of the ways he attended to do this was to go to war with Israel in1955, Nasser organized a group of commandos/guerillas called the Fellahin (today referred to as terrorists) who would operate both out of the Sinai and from within the Gaza Strip in carrying out raids against Israel o Arabs saw Fellahin as freedom-fighters and Israelis saw them as terrorists o tensions b/t Egypt and Israel rose and this was especially the case of the Israeli prime minister, David Ben-Gyrion (Israel’s first prime minister) o David Ben-Gyrion was determined Israel should strike back against anyone who attacked them immediately o Gyrion found allies very quickly b/c of other things Nasser did (Nasser seized control of Suez Canal) Suez Canal was huge success b/c it cut time in half to go from Israel to Egypt o valuable to British government o in 1956, Nasser claimed they owned it and British were angry especially prime minister A. Eden
Background image of page 2
o Eden wanted to stop Nasser now-perfect companion for Gyrion o Algeria was oldest colony in French’s possession significant European population (almost 10% which is rare) o in 1954 Algerian rebels tried to drive out French and Europeans to turn it into an independent country didn't have a chance, but Nasser was supplying them with war materials Nasser made French, British, and Israel all his enemies French prime minister: G. Mollet o Mollet, Eden, and Gyrion were all determined to get rid of Nasser meeting in October 24, 1956 o Mollet, Eden, and Gyrion (prime minister of France, Britain, and Israel)
Background image of page 3

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Image of page 4
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 12/06/2010 for the course HIST 3071 taught by Professor Long during the Fall '08 term at LSU.

Page1 / 19

985f5bcaaf5fcf61037a646ee79cf338 - 10/15/09 GET NOTES!...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 4. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online