Ch. 7 and 8 Nutrient Cycling and Regeneration(1)

Ch. 7 and 8 Nutrient Cycling and Regeneration(1) - Ch. 7...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Biogeochemical cycles Nutrient defined as a simple substance an organism needs for growth or activity Nirtrogen, potassiumm Biogeochemical cycles: o Movement if nutrients between biotic and abiotic components of an ecosystem o Three important players in these cycles: Bacteria – for useful components, and own energy Decomposers – return nutrients to simple state Air/water – transfer nutrients between biotic and abiotic components Nutrients enter the system from atmosphere or sedimentary rock Atmosphere o From rainfall and wind Sedimentary Rock o Weathering or rock Application of fertilizers o Burning of fossil fuels Nutrients leave the system: o Converted back to gas o Groundwater and run off o Logging or clearing Nutrient Regeneration New nutrients enter terrestrial systems through the formation of soil o Provides about 10 percent of nutrients taken up by plants each year Where does the other 90% come from? o
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Image of page 2
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Page1 / 4

Ch. 7 and 8 Nutrient Cycling and Regeneration(1) - Ch. 7...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 2. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online