{[ promptMessage ]}

Bookmark it

{[ promptMessage ]}

Dorothy Day - Dorothy Day Dorothy Day founder of the...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–3. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Dorothy Day Dorothy Day, founder of the Catholic Worker movement, was born in Brooklyn, New York, November 8, 1897. After surviving the San Francisco earthquake in 1906, the Day family moved into a flat in Chicago's South Side. It was a big step down in the world made necessary because John Day was out of work. Day understands of the shame people feel when they fail in their efforts dated from this time. (Miller, p.4) When John Day was appointed sports editor of a Chicago newspaper, the Day family moved into a comfortable house on the North Side. Here Dorothy began to read books that stirred her conscience. Upon Sinclair's novel, The Jungle, inspired Day to take long walks in poor neighbourhoods in Chicago's South Side. It was the start of a life-long attraction to areas many people avoid. Day won a scholarship that brought her to the University of Illinois campus at Urbana in the fall of 1914. But she was a reluctant scholar. Her reading was in a radical social direction. (Miller, p.5) She avoided campus social life and insisted on supporting herself rather than live on money from her father. Dropping out of college two years later, she moved to New York where she found a job as a reporter for The Call, the city's only socialist daily. She covered rallies and demonstrations and interviewed people ranging from butlers and butlers to labour organisers and revolutionaries. She next worked for The Masses, a magazine that opposed American involvement in the European war. In September, the Post Office rescinded the magazine's mailing permit. Federal officers seized back issues, manuscripts, subscriber lists and correspondence. Five editors were charged with sedition. In November 1917 Day went to prison for being one of forty women in front of the White House protesting women's exclusion from the electorate. Arriving at a rural workhouse, the women were roughly handled. The women responded with a hunger strike. Finally they were freed by presidential order. Returning to New York, Day felt that journalism was a meagre response to a world at war. In the spring of 1918, she signed up for a nurse's
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
training program in Brooklyn. Her conviction that the social order was unjust changed in no substantial way from her adolescence until her death, though she never identified herself with any political party. (Forest, p.23) Her religious development was a slower process. (Miller, p.6) As a child she had attended services at an Episcopal Church. As a young journalist in New York, she would sometimes make late-at-night visits to St. Joseph's Catholic Church. In 1922, in Chicago working as a reporter, she roomed with three young women who went to Mass every Sunday and holy day and set aside time each day for prayer. It was clear to her that "worship, adoration, thanksgiving, supplication ... were the noblest acts of which we are capable in this life."(Day, p.8) Her next job was with a newspaper in New Orleans. Back in New York in 1924, Day bought a beach cottage on Staten Island using money from the sale of movie rights for a novel. She also began a four-year
Background image of page 2
Image of page 3
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

{[ snackBarMessage ]}