02Ch02chemistry2005 - 2005-2006AP BiologyChapter 2.The...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–9. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: 2005-2006AP BiologyChapter 2.The Chemical Context of Life2005-2006AP BiologyWhy are we studying chemistry?Biology has chemistry at its foundation2005-2006AP BiologyEverything is made of matterMatter is made of atomsAtoms are made of:protons+mass of 1 nucleusneutronsmass of 1 nucleuselectrons- mass <<1 orbitsDifferent kinds of atoms = elementsThe Basics2005-2006AP BiologyThe World of Elements2005-2006AP BiologyModels of atoms(c)2005-2006AP BiologyAtomic structure determines behaviorThe number of protons in an atom determines the element# of protons = atomic numberthis also tells you # of electronsAll atoms of an element have same chemical propertiesall behave the sameproperties dont change2005-2006AP BiologyLife requires ~25 chemical elementsAbout 25 elements are essential for lifeFour elements make up 96% of living matter: carbon (C) hydrogen (H) oxygen (O) nitrogen (N)Four elements make up most of remaining 4%: phosphorus (P) calcium (Ca) sulfur (S) potassium (K)2005-2006AP Biology...
View Full Document

Page1 / 25

02Ch02chemistry2005 - 2005-2006AP BiologyChapter 2.The...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 9. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online