interest groups

interest groups - New disclosure rules could further...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
New disclosure rules could further curtail boom in spending Associated Press December 27, 2007 WASHINGTON - A decade-long boom for corporate lobbyists in Washington is showing signs of quieting down, just as tougher congressional rules threaten to muffle the multibillion-dollar industry even more next year. The new rules mandate more detailed disclosure of lobbying activities, industry oversight by the Justice Department and penalties of up to $200,000 for violations. They will force corporations and trade groups to provide more precise spending records and to take a harder look at who's lobbying for them. Reports for spending in the second half of 2007 are due by Feb. 15. But under the new rules, which take effect Jan. 1, lobbyists and companies must file quarterly reports. The lobbying reforms come as corporate spending habits appear to be shifting. Since the late 1990s, total expenditures grew by about 80 percent, and in some years at an annual clip of 12 percent, according to the Center for Responsive Politics, a watchdog group that tracks such expenses. K Street's river of cash hit record levels in 2006, as its two main tributaries, corporations and trade associations, helped bring the high-water mark to $2.63 billion in reported spending. Corporations and trade groups accounted for roughly 70 percent of that. Unions, professional associations and other organizations comprised the remaining 30 percent. But in the first six months of 2007, spending -- based on disclosure reports filed with Congress
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Image of page 2
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 01/23/2011 for the course POLT 407 taught by Professor Siggelakis during the Spring '10 term at New Hampshire.

Page1 / 3

interest groups - New disclosure rules could further...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 2. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online