Group Notes23 - Alleles in the population Frequencies of alleles p = frequency of Gametes produced C R allele = 0.8 Each sperm Each egg q =

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–3. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: Alleles in the population Frequencies of alleles p = frequency of Gametes produced C R allele = 0.8 Each sperm: Each egg: q = frequency of 20% chance C W allele = 0.2 80% chance 20% chance 80% chance 20% chance Frequency of individuals Original population Phenotypes (fur color) Original population Evolved population (c) Stabilizing selection (b) Disruptive selection (a) Directional selection The Evolution of Populations: Chapter 23 • One misconception is that organisms evolve, in the Darwinian sense, during their lifetimes • Natural selection acts on individuals, but only populations evolve • Microevolution is defined as the change in allele frequencies in a populations over generations • Variation in individual genotype leads to variation in individual pheontype • Not all phenotypic variation is heritable • Natural selection can only act on variation with a genetic component. • Both discrete and quantitative characters contribute to variation within a population • Discrete characters can be classified on an either-or basis (purple flowers or white flowers) • Quantitative characters may vary along a continuum within a population(body length) • Population geneticists measure polymorphisms in a population by determining the amount of heterozygosity at the gene and molecular levels • Average heterozygosity measures the average percent of loci that are heterozygous in a population. • Nucleotide variability is measured by comparing the DNA sequences of pairs of individuals • Most species exhibit geographic variation , differences between gene pools of separate populations or population subgroups • Mutations are changes in the nucleotide sequence of DNA • Mutations cause new genes and alleles to arise • Only mutations in cells that produce gametes can be passed to offspring • A point mutation is a change in one base in a gene • The effects of point mutations can vary:-Mutations in noncoding regions of DNA are often harmless-Mutations in a gene might not affect protein production because of redundancy...
View Full Document

This note was uploaded on 01/25/2011 for the course BIO 1510 taught by Professor Unknown during the Spring '07 term at Georgia Institute of Technology.

Page1 / 8

Group Notes23 - Alleles in the population Frequencies of alleles p = frequency of Gametes produced C R allele = 0.8 Each sperm Each egg q =

This preview shows document pages 1 - 3. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online