Chapter 8 Lecture Problems

Chapter 8 Lecture Problems - Solutions for Lecture Problems...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–3. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: Solutions for Lecture Problems from Chapter 8 8.6 ALTERNATIVE LANGUAGE TO TEXTBOOK. A major media research organization has studied the weekly television (TV) viewing time during nightly prime time hours (8:00 to 11:00 PM). It is known from previous research that the standard deviation of TV viewing time of all households is 3.5 hours. On the basis of a random sample of 300 households, the mean TV viewing time is 8.5 hours per week. REMARKS: The objective after reading through the parts below is to confidently estimate the true mean TV viewing time per household per week at the 95% confidence level. Note the keywords known and all (referring to the population of households.) As a result, sigma is known: Problem classification: interval estimation is known: use z Given: xbar = 8.5 hours/week = 3.5 hours/week n = 300 a. What is the point estimate for mean weekly TV viewing time of all households? ~ xbar = 8.5 hours/week The sample mean of 8.5 hours/week is the point estimate for . b. What is the margin of error at 95% confidence? At 95% confidence, z = 1.960 Then E = z / n Chapter 8 Lecture Problems 1 2009 Harvey A. Singer = 1.9603.5/300 So at 95% confidence E = 0.396 hours/week c. Calculate a 95 percent confidence interval for the actual mean weekly TV viewing time of all households. xbar E xbar + E with xbar given as 8.5 and E = 0.396 from b, so 8.5 0.396 8.5 + 0.396 so 8.104 8.896 hours/week In a sketch d. What is the chance that the true mean annual household income is contained within the interval calculated in part c? 95% e. What is the chance that the true mean annual household income is not contained within the interval calculated in part c? 5% f. Based on this confidence interval, state a likely (and reasonable) upper bound for the mean annual household income....
View Full Document

This note was uploaded on 01/26/2011 for the course OM 210 taught by Professor Singer during the Fall '08 term at George Mason.

Page1 / 8

Chapter 8 Lecture Problems - Solutions for Lecture Problems...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 3. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online