Campbell_02 - Chapter 2 Chemical Context of Life Elements...

Info icon This preview shows pages 1–9. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Chapter 2 Chemical Context of Life
Image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Elements and Compounds Element –cant be broken down to other substances Compound – substance consisting of two or more elements NaCl, H2O
Image of page 2
Elements required for Life 25 of 92 elements are required Carbon Oxygen Hydrogen Nitrogen Make up 96% of living matter Phosphorus Sulfur Calcium Potassium Make up remaining 4%
Image of page 3

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Image of page 4
Atoms and Molecules Atom – smallest unit of matter that still retains properties of an element. Made up of: Neutrons Protons electrons
Image of page 5

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Atomic Number Atoms differ in number of subatomic particles Atomic Number = number of protons = number of electrons Isotopes contain different amount of neutrons Most are stable but some are radioactive
Image of page 6
Energy Levels of Electrons Electrons are arranged in shells Higher levels mean more potential energy
Image of page 7

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Electron Configuration Electron shell 1 can hold 2 electrons Shell 2 and 3 can hold 8 electrons
Image of page 8
Image of page 9
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

What students are saying

  • Left Quote Icon

    As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.

    Student Picture

    Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.

    Student Picture

    Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.

    Student Picture

    Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern