Unformatted text preview: 1V ante: \)U“ I J V TA: BIOL 1161: INTRODUCTION TO BIOLOGICAL SCIENCE LABORATORY
Quiz #2 on Labs 3 and 7 (90%); and Lab 4 reading (10%) Multiple Choice: circle the best answer from the choices given (2.5 pts/ea) 1. Co oared to a solution of pH 3, a solution of pH 1 is
100 times more acidic. 7. The basic structural unit of the carbohydrate is the:
b. 10 times more acidic. a. Disaccharide
c. 10 times more basic. b. Reducing sugar
d. 100 times more basic. @ Monosaccharide
2. When sodium hydroxide (NaOH) is added to water, it
ionizes, releasing OH" and Na+ ions. The resulting 8. The basic bonds joining amino acids are:
solution is 4. Amine bonds
acidic. ,. Q Peptide bonds
basic. c. Aldehyde bonds
c. neutral. d. H dro en bonds
(1. abuffer. .. W90? otCAOl ’2 (61“? y g
9. Benedict’s reagent tests for the presence of:
3. Solutions that contain buffers tend to resist pH changes a. Simple sugars
because buffers b. Complex sugars
a. are bases. Reducing sugars
change from ionic to non-ionic in solution. . Starch
@ change from non-ionic to ionic in response to
changes in pH and release or absorb Hi 10. Sudan IV reagent tests for the presence of:
/@/ are weak acids or bases. Lipids
4. The notation [H+] refers to the c. —Naeleotides Wednesday, June 9‘“, 2010. /
a. number of H+ ions present in a solution. (1. Starch I qu S b. number of protons in an HJr ion.
concentration of H+ ions in moles per liter. 11. Which of the following will result in a positive reaction
chemical reactivity of H+ ions. when mixed with Lugol’s? — MS COiOV “4
a. Glucose W€S€HC€ (A9 Smith 5. The microscope should always be: b. Protein
a. carried with the stronger hand 0. Fructose b. carried horizontally Starch 9 carried vertically upright
. carried with help 12. You have learned that the old cliché "oil and water don't
mix" is true. Why? 6. Total magniﬁcation is deﬁned as: a. Oil exhibits polarity and water does not.
a. working distance x objective magniﬁcation Water exhibits polarity and oil does not.
a ocular magniﬁcation x objective magniﬁcation C. Oil is hydrophilic.
. ﬁeld of view x objective magniﬁcation (1. Water is hydrophobic.
d. resolution / magniﬁcation True or False: 2 pts/each
13. T A base neunalizew SC“ Jr—JVVW 14. g It is not necessary to calibrate the pH meter if the sample has been estimated to have neutral pH.
15 T The ocular lens is also called the eyepiece. ? 16. : All monosaccharides react with Benedict’s reagent.
17. L Monomers are joined together by the process of hydrolysis.
18. l Monomers are the building blocks for polymers.
19. i Biuret reagent reacts with amino acid, but not with protein. mdmfei’ \MVH’ SDWCG
Evil/K36? €166! View, SVYIUtIiOV
Coctvce I ﬁhé
mdjvg’l’YYlﬁi/H’ 20. £ The iris diaphragm in a microscope is used to adjust the working distance.
21. E Weak acids ionize completely. 22. .1— The sum of the [HH and [OH‘] ion concentrations of any given solution is always constant. ...
View Full Document
- Summer '10