lect0409 - IEOR 4106, Spring 2009, Professor Whitt...

Info iconThis preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: IEOR 4106, Spring 2009, Professor Whitt Introduction to Renewal Theory: Thursday, April 9 1. Speeding Ticket Revenue A policeman spends his entire day on the lookout for speeders. The policeman cruises on average approximately 10 minutes before stopping a car for some offense. Of the cars he stops, 90% of the drivers are given speeding tickets with an $80 fine. It takes the policeman an average of 5 minutes to write such a ticket. The other 10% of the stops are for more serious offenses, leading to an average fine of $300. These more serious charges take an average of 30 minutes to process. In the long run what is the rate of money brought in by fines? ANSWER The average time between successive stops is 10 + (0 . 9 5) + (0 . 1 30) = 10 + 4 . 5 + 3 . 0 = 17 . 5 minutes . The average fine revenue per stop is . 9 80 + 0 . 1 300 = 72 + 30 = 102 Hence, by the renewal reward theorem, the long-run average rate fine revenue is accrued is...
View Full Document

This note was uploaded on 01/26/2011 for the course IEOR 4106 taught by Professor Whitt during the Spring '08 term at Columbia.

Ask a homework question - tutors are online