BS 110 Notes 11-17-2010

BS 110 Notes 11-17-2010 - nect and the energy lost is in...

Info iconThis preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
BS 110 Notes 11-17-2010 Ecological Pyramids Know generalizations, not the specifics Pyramid of numbers – most plants, less calves, least humans Pyramid of Biomass – most lbs of plants, less lbs of calves, least lbs of humans Pyramid of Energy – most energy sun, less energy alfalfa, less energy calves, least energy humans There is always a loss of energy when moving from one trophic level to the
Background image of page 1
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: nect and the energy lost is in the form of heat that escapes into the surrounding environment. Generally, a 90% loss from one trophic level to the other, therefore a 10% transfer of energy • Food Chain – occurs when one group of organisms is eaten specifically by another group of organisms which in turn is eaten by another group of organisms, etc....
View Full Document

This note was uploaded on 01/31/2011 for the course BS 110 taught by Professor S.lawrence during the Fall '07 term at Michigan State University.

Ask a homework question - tutors are online