– ongoing proc of social, political, ec changes by digital tech. First dig
– WW2. 1
personal comp – 1976
– anonymous internet sites,
– cloaks identity.
– global comp network, 1995. Web – collection of linked docs. Cyber
– entities existing largely within networks.
– converting text etc into data that can be processed by dig device.
– worldwide ec interdependence of countries cross-border.
– multipurpose device inputs, outputs, process & store data (symbols
representing facts, ideas etc)
– manipulation of data. Data representation
– form in which data is
.(-ASCII 7 bits, Ext ASCII
8 bits, Unicode 16 bits= 65 000 characters) File
– collection of data. Control unit
– where most processing takes place, microp in new computers. Application
– electronic component programmed to perform tasks based on
received data, process instructions, most important component, clock
– sets pace
for executing instructions. Front side bus
– circuits transporting data to
microprocessor. Word size
- # of bits microprocessor can manipulate at a time.
– memory in microprocessor, level 1-inside / level 2-on top. Different
(complex) / RISC
(reduced), Serial processing
– all steps must be
completed before moving on, pipelining
, parallel processing, dual core processing.
– series of instructions telling comp how to carry out tasks =
software setting up comp to do specific task.
: helps person carry out task ex word processing program to edit,
print. Productivity sotfw
– more efficiently, groupware
– collaborate, document
production, word processing, desktop publishing, web authoring, graphic, music.
: helps comp monitor itself ex OS
(operating system)– master
controller for all activities. Utility softw
– helps peripheral device establish communication w/ comp. Hardw
– softw + hardw, If buying, consider: use, money spend, platform, ram (2
gig min), magazines. Workstation