This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: From Hot War to Cold War: The Rise of the Iron Curtain in the Atomic Age Welcome to the Cold War!
• What is the Cold War? • Who is to blame?
– Orthodox (1940s1950s) – Revisionists (1960s 1970s) – New Cold War History (Present) The Early Cold War
• Greece and Turkey Loan • George Kennan and Containment • Walter Lippmann The Marshall Plan Trouble in Germany Truman’s Strategy
1. Better Nukes 2. Bigger Military – Dept. of Defense 3. Military and Economic Aid to the Allies 4. CIA 5. NATO The Loss of China Red Scare at Home
• Fear and Paranoia • HUAC • Hollywood Ten Igor Gouzenko and the Rosenbergs Alger Hiss and Whittaker Chambers The 1950s The 1950s Who was Joe McCarthy?
• • • • Biography Wheeling Speech “205” Millard Tydings Who supported McCarthy?
1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. China Lobby Grassroots America Bible Belters Catholics Republicans AntiWASPs McCarthy vs. The State Department The ArmyMcCarthy Hearings The Korean War 195053 1952 Presidential Election The Eisenhower Presidency Ike’s Foreign Policy
• • • • • The New Look Guatemala Suez Vietnam Iran Rise of the Suburbs Malls Fast Food Television Rock ‘n’ Roll ...
View Full Document