Unformatted text preview: e common in boys SES and ethnicity: SES and ethnicity:
• More severe MR occurs equally in different economic and racial groups • Mild MR is more prevalent among lower SES children, which disproportionally includes minority children. Why?
– Cultural factors – Environmental factors – Standardized IQ tests might be biased Comorbidity: Comorbidity:
• Evidence that having MR increases the risk of developing psychological problems (1050% of children with MR) • Comorbidity depends on type of MR
– Less common in profound group – Those with mild MR tend to have disruptive behavior problems; those in more severe range tend to be withdrawn and autistic Two types of MR: Organic Two types of MR: Organic
• Over 1000 different biological causes of MR, which include genetic anomalies and prenatal insults • Most children with organic MR are severely impaired • 77% of cases in the moderate to profound range are due to organic factors Down syndrome: Down syndrome:
• Most common genetic birth defect related to MR; have 3 #21 chromosomes • Facial features include wide face, slanted eyes, flattened nose • Typically friendly and social, but may become more aggressive in adolescence • Decelerating rate of mental growth; avg IQ of 50; social intelligence high, but speech and comprehension of grammar are low PraderWilli syndrome: PraderWilli syndrome:
• Due to anomalies in chromosome 15 • Usually mild MR with deficits largely in ve...
View Full Document
- Fall '09
- Pathology, Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, environmental problems, mild mr, Classification DSM Classification