LEC11_10_ethnicrace

LEC11_10_ethnicrace - SOC101Y Introduction to Sociology...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–7. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
SOC101Y Introduction to Sociology Introduction to Sociology Professor Robert Brym Professor Robert Brym Lecture #11 Lecture #11 Race and Ethnicity Race and Ethnicity 19 Jan 2011 19 Jan 2011
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Dr Samuel George Morton Dr Samuel George Morton 1799-1851 1799-1851
Background image of page 2
Criticisms of Morton’s Skull Study Sample Size difference NO CONTROLS 72 skulls White skulls 4 in. larger than black skulls CONTROLLING FOR  SEX Male skulls only White skulls 2 in. larger than black skulls Female skulls only Black skulls 1 in. 3   larger than white skulls 1. Identifying the race of a skull imprecise even today. 2. Small, unrepresentative sample. 3. Controlling for sex reduces or eliminates race difference
Background image of page 3

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
  Prejudice  is an attitude that  people employ to judge others  on their group’s real or imagined  characteristics.   Discrimination  is unfair  treatment of people due to their  perceived group membership.  Prejudice and Discrimination
Background image of page 4
DNA Snips  DNA is a chemical that contains the genetic  instructions for all living organisms. When people  have a child, the DNA of the mates combines and the  child inherits the parents’ DNA.   DNA consists of 3 billion pairs of four types of  molecules. Different sequences of molecules result in  different characteristics (e.g., skin colour). 99.5% of  the DNA of all people is identical.  The remaining 0.5% of DNA may differ between  any two people; these differences (known as Single  Nucleotide Polymorphisms, SNPs or “snips”) are the  focus of research in the field of comparative  genomics.
Background image of page 5

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Comparative Genomics  Snips influence readily apparent physical  differences such as skin pigmentation and less  apparent physical differences such as the capacity to  absorb and utilize various chemicals. Identifying  snips of the latter type enables the production of  “designer” drugs that are best suited to groups with  unique genetic characteristics.  Significantly, comparative genomics research  focuses on differences between socially  distinct  groups, such as blacks and whites. Yet genetic  diversity is greatest among people of African origin,  and genetic variation within  other racial groups may  be pharmacologically significant.
Background image of page 6
Image of page 7
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

Page1 / 27

LEC11_10_ethnicrace - SOC101Y Introduction to Sociology...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 7. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online