Standard Deviation and Variance

Standard Deviation and Variance - Standard Deviation and...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Standard deviation is the measure of dispersion or variability around an expected value. It is calculated by measuring deviations from the mean, multiplying them by their probabilities, summing them and then finding the square root. For example, let us suppose you have the opportunity to make an investment. You estimate that you have a 20% chance of a $300 return, a 60% chance of a $600 return and a 20% chance of a $900 return. First you find the expected value. Potential Outcome X Probability = Weighted Value $300 X .2 = $ 60 $600 X .6 = $360 $900 X .2 = $180 Expected Value $600 Now you are ready to calculate the standard deviation, as follows: Step 1 Step 2 Step 3 Step 4 Subtract the Expected Value from each Outcome Square each Answer Multiply by the Probabilities and Sum Find the Square Root 300 – 600 = (300)
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Image of page 2
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 02/14/2011 for the course FINANCE 640 taught by Professor Sen during the Fall '10 term at UMBC.

Page1 / 2

Standard Deviation and Variance - Standard Deviation and...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 2. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online