Unformatted text preview: Chapter 3 Chapter Drawing People Drawing Together Together
Forces of Social Attraction Forces Types of Attraction Types
Physical Social Task-Oriented Sexual Relational Fatal A Framework for Studying Attraction Attraction Personal Qualities and Preferences Preferences Perceptions of Reward Value Perceptions -- what we look for in others based on personal preferences personal Expectations Expectations -- what we expect other people to be like, sometimes based on stereotypes or past experiences past Demographic Characteristics • Sex and Gender • Age • Sexual Orientation Personal Qualities and Preferences Preferences
Personality Personality • Attachment • Self-Esteem • Self-Monitoring • Narcissism Qualities of the Other Person Physical Appearance • The “What is Beautiful is Good What Hypothesis” (a.k.a. the halo effect) the Hypothesis” • Universal Attributes of Beauty Body and Facial Symmetry Body Proportionality and the Golden Ratio Waist-to-Hip Ratio Koinophilia (average features) Facial Neoteny combined with Facial Maturity Qualities of the Other Person Qualities
(cont.) (cont.) • Interaction Appearance Theory • Assimilation Effect Interpersonal Communication Skills
• • • Warmth, sociability, and competence Dominance vs. altruistic behavior Loss-gain effect “Hard-to-Get” Phenomenon The Chemistry Between Two People Two Similarity: Do Birds of a Feather Similarity: Really Flock Together?
• • • • • Attitudinal similarity Reinforcement effect Similarity in communication skill Matching hypothesis Matching Implicit egotism The Chemistry Between Two People Two Complementarity: Do Opposites Complementarity: Attract?
• Complementarity in resources • Complementarity in behavior / personality Complementarity The role commitment plays in the importance of similarity versus complementarity. complementarity. Environmental and Social Factors Factors Microenvironmental Features
• Reinforcement Affect Model Reinforcement • Excitation transfer Influence from Social Networks
• Positive effects of approval from Positive family and friends family • “Romeo and Juliet” Effect Proximity ...
View Full Document