HW 9 Req HW Solutions - Chap 8

HW 9 Req HW Solutions - Chap 8 - Problem Solutions for...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–4. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Problem Solutions for Required Homework #10 Solutions for problems selected from Chapter 8 from the End-of-Chapter Supplementary Exercises. 8.44. Based on a survey of 54 discount brokers, the mean price charged for a trade of 100 shares at $50 per share is $33.77. It is known that the standard deviation of all such trades by all discount brokers is $15.00. REMARKS: The objective after reading through the parts below is to confidently estimate the true mean price per 100 share trade at the 95% confidence level. Note the keywords “known” and “all” (referring to the population of households.) As a result, sigma is known: σ is known: use z Given: xbar = $33.77 σ = $15.00 n = 54 a. What is the margin of error at 95% confidence? At 95% confidence, z = 1.960 Then E = z × σ /√ n = 1.960×$15 /√54 = $29.40/√54, so E = $ 4.00 b. Calculate a 95 percent confidence interval for the actual mean trade price. xbar – E μ ≤ xbar + E , with xbar given as $33.77 and E = $4.00 at 95% confidence from a, so $33.77 – $4.00 ≤ μ ≤ $33.77 + $4.00, so $27.77 ≤ μ ≤ $37.77 HW #10 solutions 1 © 2010 Harvey A. Singer
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
In a sketch x μ Sampling distribution of xbar (normal) ½×0.05 = 0.025 $29.77 $37.77 0.95 New questions: 1. What is the point estimate for mean trade price? μ ~ xbar = $33.77 2. What is the chance that the true mean trade price is contained within the interval calculated in part b? 95% 3. What is the chance that the true mean trade price is not contained within the interval calculated in part b? 5% 4. Based on this confidence interval, state a likely (and reasonable) upper bound for the mean trade price. Upper confidence bound = $37.33 at 95% confidence. 5. What is the chance that the true mean trade price is more than the upper bound stated in part e? 2.5% (= 0.5×5%) HW #10 solutions 2 © 2010 Harvey A. Singer
Background image of page 2
6. A brokerage executive claims that the mean price for such trades is $28.50. Based on the above results, should this claim be doubted or believed? The claimed value of $28.50 is less than the lower limit of the 95% confidence interval (= $29.77). The chance of this happening in less than 2.5%. This small a chance is evidence that the executive’s claim should be doubted. 7. At 95 percent confidence, how big a sample size is needed to reduce the margin of error calculated in part b in half? At 95% confidence,
Background image of page 3

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Image of page 4
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 02/19/2011 for the course OM 210 taught by Professor Singer during the Spring '08 term at George Mason.

Page1 / 10

HW 9 Req HW Solutions - Chap 8 - Problem Solutions for...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 4. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online